top of page

Bystanders Thwart Attempted Arson at Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birth Home



In a harrowing incident that unfolded at Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home in Atlanta, the quick thinking and bravery of two tourists prevented a potential disaster. Laneisha Shantrice Henderson, a 26-year-old woman, was apprehended as she attempted to set fire to the historic property. Thanks to the intervention of bystanders and the prompt response of law enforcement, the attempt was unsuccessful, sparing this iconic symbol of American history from destruction.

The Incident:
According to the Atlanta Police Department, Henderson was seen pouring gasoline onto the bushes and front porch of the two-story Queen Anne Style house. Zachery Kempf and Bryce Gardy, visiting from Utah, noticed Henderson's actions and immediately realized the gravity of the situation. Despite their pleas for her to stop, she continued pouring the flammable liquid with increasing urgency.

Courageous Intervention:
Acting swiftly, Kempf and Gardy, along with others who joined in, managed to detain Henderson until law enforcement arrived on the scene. The bystanders' bravery and vigilance prevented any harm to the historic site and ensured the safety of all involved. Their courageous actions have been commended by the Atlanta Police Chief, Darin Schierbaum, who emphasized the significance of their intervention in preserving an important part of American history.

Narrow Escape:
The video footage obtained by local news outlet 11Alive captured the chilling scene. It shows Henderson standing on the porch, clad in black clothing and holding a red gasoline can. With repeated swings, she spilled the clear liquid onto the porch, windows, and exterior of the home. The potential for disaster was evident, with the gasoline fumes posing a serious threat. Fire officials confirmed that if the witnesses hadn't intervened, the historic house could have been engulfed in flames within seconds.

Investigation and Potential Federal Prosecution:
Law enforcement agencies, including the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, are now conducting an investigation into the incident. Given that the birth home is a federal property owned by the National Park Service, the case may be adopted for federal prosecution. The seriousness of the offense, along with the historical significance of the location, warrants a thorough examination of the incident.

Gratitude and Concern:
The King Center, an organization dedicated to promoting Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy, expressed gratitude towards the bystanders and law enforcement for their swift action. In a statement, they acknowledged that the attempted arson had been thwarted due to the intervention of good Samaritans and the prompt response of law enforcement. The Center also extended prayers to the individual alleged to have committed the act, recognizing the importance of addressing the underlying issues that may have led to such behavior.

Preserving a Legacy:
Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home is not only a symbol of his life and legacy but also a testament to the ongoing struggle for civil rights and equality in America. Built in 1895, the house served as King's residence during his formative years. Now owned by the National Park Service, the home recently underwent temporary closure for rehabilitation work, further highlighting its historical significance.

The attempted arson at Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home serves as a stark reminder of the challenges faced in preserving historical landmarks and symbols of progress. However, it is also a testament to the power of vigilance and collective action in safeguarding our shared heritage. Thanks to the bravery of bystanders and the swift response of law enforcement, this pivotal site remains intact, continuing to inspire future generations with the teachings and legacy of one of America's greatest civil rights leaders.

bottom of page